Friday, September 23, 2011

Why does car shut off when clutch is pressed?

Hello,



I am having a problem. I have a 99 mazda protege which is standard. After driving about 5 minutes, when i press my clutch to put my car in gear, the engine will just shut off. I am able to restart my car, but it is driving me crazy.

A week or two ago I was having this problem and my cousin, who is a mechanic, changed the clutch bearing. I had no problem for about a week, but yesterday it started again.



Anyone know why this is happening and what to do to fix it?



Thank you
Why does car shut off when clutch is pressed?
Hello,

most standards, have a open circuit switch,this is a safety switch.The switch is located right near the clutch pedal.Take a flash light and you should see the switch.see if the wires are loose from the connector,if not, see if the switch is jamed.These switches are non to

shot out becase of the constant shifting. Bring the bad switch to the auto-parts store so they can match it with a replacement switch.



Hope this helps Pete
Why does car shut off when clutch is pressed?
probably the clutch switch or neutral safety switch is shorting to open cutting the 12v power lead to the computer instead of staying closed.
ur cuz is no mechanic...the clutch safty switch is worn/bad...when u normaly start car you push in clutch...switch makes sure it cant start in gear..... cost 50 dollars....cost of bearing 200 to 300 [but not needed]
There isnt any neutral safety switches on manuals...It is a clutch safety switch.Sounds like the problem you are having.

No comments:

Post a Comment